The best Ice Cave guide
A trip to the ice caves gives you an everlasting memory of your visit to our amazing Vatnajökull National Park. Inside Europe’s largest glacier the interaction of light and ice is unique and the experience of being inside the glacier is so breathtaking that no words can describe it.
The caves form with the interaction of water, ice and temperature changes during spring- and summertime in Breiðamerkurjökull glacier.
We drive in our super jeeps from Jökulsárlón Glacier lagoon to a trail, on the way to Breiðamerkurjökull glacier. The ride to the trail takes about 30 minutes depending on the snow layer. From there we walk the rocky trail for about 30 minutes to the glacier. You have about 45-50 minutes to explore the cave and breath in the energy of the glacier.
Ice caves are natural phenomenon and ever changing. Sometimes one cave is impassable because of water and in those cases, we will go to another cave. Each cave has its own identity, but all are magnificent in their natural beauty. We explore those caves that are available at each time and season, but please be aware that the caves change from season to season and even from month to month within the same season, so they are always unique and do not always look precisely as on pictures.
There are other tour guides working in the ice caves as well, so it is likely to meet other groups on our way to or from the cave and inside the cave.
Departure: 10:00 and 13:30 (Please be at meeting point 20 minutes before departure)
Meeting point: Glacier Lagoon (Jökulsárlón)
Duration: 3 hours
Price: 19. 990.ísk
Minimum age: 12 years
Group maximum: 13 persons
Season: October – March
- All necessary gear such as helmets(compulsory) and crampons (if needed).
- Drive in a super jeep from Glacier lagoon, to the cave and back to Glacier lagoon.
- A local English speaking guide.
What you need to bring
- Outdoor clothing based on weather conditions at the time of the trip. Such as hat, gloves etc.
- Good shoes, suitable for hiking in snow.
- Good mood 🙂
Good to know
- Weather in Iceland can be unpredictable in the winter time and change swiftly so we advise you to spend the night before the tour, within one hour drive to Glacier lagoon.
- Notice that the distance from Reykjavík to Glacier lagoon(Jökulsárlón) is 380km or about 4-5 hours drive in best conditions.
- We do not arrange for any other transport than from Glacier lagoon, to the cave and back to Glacier lagoon.
- For information’s on road conditions see vegagerdin.is and for information on weather see www.vedur.is
All of South East tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. South East does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused or can be traced to customers own actions or recklessness.
Participant in our tours must always comply with guides instructions for safety.Book now