A trip to the ice caves gives you an everlasting memory of your visit to our amazing Vatnajökull National Park. Inside Europe’s largest glacier the interaction of light and ice is unique and the experience of being inside the glacier is so breathtaking that no word can describe it.
We drive in our super jeep from Glacier lagoon to the steel of Breiðamerkurjökull glacier, but there is where the caves form whith the interaction of water, ice and temperature changes during spring- and summertime. The ride to the glacier takes about 30-45 minutes depending on the snow layer. You have about 45 minutes to explore the cave and breath in the energy of the glacier.
Ice caves are natural phenomenons and ever changing. Sometimes Crystal Cave is impassable because of water and in those cases we will go to another cave. Each cave has it’s own identity but all are magnificent in their natural beauty. We explore those caves that are available at each time and season, but please be aware that the caves change from season to season and even from month to month within the same season so they are always unique and do not always look precisely as on pictures.
There are other tour guides working in the ice caves as well, so it is likely to meet other groups on our way to or from the cave and inside the cave.
Please read our safety policy and the terms and conditions of our trips, at the top of the page!!
Departure: 10:00 and 13:30 ( Please be at meeting point 20 minutes before departure)
Meeting point: Glacier Lagoon (Jökulsárlón)
Duration: 2-3 hours (That is from Jökulsárlón and back)
Minimum age: 12 years
Group maximum: 16 persons
Season: November – March
- All necessary gear such as helmets(compulsory) and crampons (if needed).
- Drive in a super jeep from Glacier lagoon, to the cave and back to Glacier lagoon.
- A local English speaking guide.
What you need to bring
- Outdoor clothing based on weather conditions at the time of the trip. Such as hat, gloves etc.
- Good shoes, suitable for hiking in snow.
- Good mood 🙂
Good to know
- Weather in Iceland can be unpredictable in the winter time and change swiftly so we advise you to spend the night before the tour, within one hour drive to Glacier lagoon.
- Notice that the distance from Reykjavík to Glacier lagoon(Jökulsárlón) is 380km or about 4-5 hours drive in best conditions.
- We do not arrange for any other transport than from Glacier lagoon, to the cave and back to Glacier lagoon.
- For information’s on road conditions see vegagerdin.is and for information on weather see www.vedur.is
All of South East tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. South East does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused or can be traced to customers own actions or recklessness.
Participant in our tours must always comply with guides instructions for safety.
Ice caves are natural phenomenons and ever changing. Sometimes Crystal Cave is impassable because of water and in those cases we will go to the best cave available.