Reserve your place on this tour of Vatnajökull glacier in the southeast of Iceland which is operated by our good friends at Glacier Trips. If you want the chance to walk on a glacier in a small group with a local guide this is the tour for you.
After meeting your group at Hólabrekka farm, 30 km west of Höfn, you’ll receive all the necessary equipment. A back pack for you with all the gear inside Helmet, crampons, ice axe, harness and first aid kit.
We will make our way together to the glacier, with time to enjoy the Icelandic landscape of the south coast, with rolling hills, wide-open skies and imposing cliffs dotting the landscape. From there, you’ll take a short stroll through the countryside to the the glacier, followed with a boat trip in a zippy RIB boat.
As you walk, your guide will tell you about the glacier’s history and how the glacier has developed through the last century.
The sun reflecting off the white ice of the glacier can be a dazzling sight, so consider bringing sunglasses with you. You’ll admire the crevasses, crystalline crags and ice sculptures, all bleached by the power of the sun and swirled with blue from the depths of the glacier, where the sun’s UV rays have not touched. Your guide will tell you about the glacier’s history and how the glacier has developed through the last century.
Photography of the glaciers has become extremely popular in recent years, so don’t forget your camera for a keepsake of the bleak and desolate landscape, barren of any human impact. This primeval landscape is unlike any you have ever experienced and you will feel the weight of the ages as you look out over the untouched ice. This tour is designed as an easy walk with plenty of photo opportunities to suit hikers of most ability levels.
Difficulty: Moderate – Accessible to all those in good health.
Departure: All days at 10:00 and 13:00
Meeting point: Hólabrekka, 30km west of Höfn and 50 km east of Jökulsárlón (Glacier Lagoon). GPS location: Latitude: 64.299328 | Longitude: -15.418947
Duration: 4,5 – 5 hours.
Language: English speaking guide.
Price: 19.900 ÍSK per person
Minimum age: 12 years
Group maximum: 14 Persons max
Season: May – October
Always remember to read the terms and conditions along with the safety policy!!
What ‘s included:
- Following necessary gear provided: 30L Back pack – for all our equipment, Helmet – safety gear we use on the Glacier, Crampons – very important for the walk on the glacier, Harness – rescue safety gear, Ice Axe – the glacier walk helper, Life vest – used for the boat trip, First Aid Kit – always good to have.
- Drive from and back to, the meeting point.
- Boat trip.
- A local English speaking guide.
What you need to bring:
- Walking boots and warm socks.
- Warm clothes: 2-3 layers of thin wool or fleece jumpers, windproof/waterproof jacket, wool or fleece trousers, windproof/waterproof trousers, hat, mittens.
- Bottle of water, packed lunch meal or light snack.
- Good mood 🙂
Good to know:
- Weather in Iceland can be unpredictable so we always advise our guests to stay in the area the night before the tour.
- Notice that the distance from Reykjavík to Höfn is 480km or about 5 hours’ drive in best conditions.
- For information’s on road conditions see vegagerdin.is and for information on weather see www.vedur.is